I bet you have already heard it somewhere: The money is in the list… Building a list of subscribers is essential… Not creating the list from the beginning was my biggest mistake…
Well, let’s look at some ways how to use email marketing to make your blog grow.
What will you learn here?
- Inform subscribers of your new articles
- Create an email course
- Earn commissions by promoting affiliate programs
- Strengthen your personal brand
- Get more followers in social networks
- Boost engagement
- Earn money by promoting online contests
- Get the feedback you need
- Sell your own services
- Get more webinar or course signups
- Increase traffic and earn by showing ads
- Promote your posts containing videos
- Promote free trial offers
- Segment and personalize
- Do you need an email marketing service?
Inform subscribers of your new articles
Some bloggers send a notification to their list of subscribers whenever they post a new entry. Others, especially those who write several posts a week, send a weekly or monthly summary.
Does it seem like a tedious task? Do not worry, these types of mailing can be automated. Did you know that if you use WordPress (what I recommend), the script generates an RSS feed automatically? Most email marketing tools know how to work with the RSS feeds. Thanks to this, with a couple of adjustments, the messages will be sent to your subscribers automatically.
Create an email course
You can create something similar to my MoneyToplist Academy, an email course in which the students learn step by step how to make a living with a blog.
This strategy can be useful especially if you want to demonstrate your knowledge to your potential customers.
For example, if you offer web design services, creating a course on HTML and CSS will help your subscribers create basic pages. The moment they need something more advanced, they will know that you are an expert in this field and some of them will hire you.
Earn commissions by promoting affiliate programs
Get to know your subscribers. Find out what problems they have and come up with a good solution. Recommend them quality products with which they can solve the problem.
Sign up for affiliate programs that pay you a commission for each sale. When recommending the product that solves the problem, use your affiliate link.
But do not overdo the sales emails. Do not forget why people gave you their emails – so that you can help them with something. So do it 🙂 I recommend you apply the 80/20 rule – at least 80% of the content should be educational and at most 20% commercial offers.
Strengthen your personal brand
Get them to see you as a leader in your niche. On the one hand, the recipe for strengthen your personal brand using email marketing sounds fairly easy. You “only” need to send your content regularly.
Make sure your name is present in all your mailings. You can also consider adding your photo (you have already heard that a picture is worth a thousand words, right?), for example, to the bottom side of your signature.
On the other hand, this strategy requires persistence. It does not make much sense to send three emails in a month and then stop contacting subscribers completely. Anyway, you can use autoresponder to manage your time better.
You will earn much more money if you can influence your readers through various communication channels. So why not take advantage of email marketing to increase the number of your followers on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other social networks?
How can you achieve it?
- The easiest way to get started is to include social media icons linked to your profiles in your emails.
- Much more effective will be to use a good call to action. Explain to your subscribers the reasons why you think the content you publish in social networks will be useful for them.
What is engagement? It is a measure of the interaction of users with you or your brand. In other words, improving engagement means:
- Get more comments, likes, shares, etc. in social networks.
- Get more readers to comment on your articles, share them in social networks, etc.
How can you get your subscribers to do any of these actions? Simply ask them. Use a good call to action.
- At the end of the newsletter where you mention a new article, encourage subscribers to ask questions about the topic by leaving comments below the post.
- In the same way, ask them to share your post on social networks if they liked it. To make it easier, you can add to your newsletters Facebook or Twitter buttons that make it possible to share a message with two clicks.
Earn money by promoting online contests
Use your list of subscribers to promote online contests that pay you for it. In particular, cooperate with advertisers who offer a CPL (cost-per-lead) program through an affiliate network.
People love the contests and if you find some which offer prizes that have something to do with the interests of your readers, they will appreciate it. In addition to doing something good for your subscribers, you will earn (on average) between a few tens cents to a few dollars for each participant.
Get the feedback you need
As a blogger you must make decisions from time to time. And I can imagine that some of them can cause you headaches. So why not ask your subscribers for feedback to avoid unnecessary mistakes?
What can you consult with your readers in this way? Here are a couple of ideas:
- New topics for your blog.
- A new design of your blog.
- Choose from various logo designs.
- The ideal frequency for sending your newsletter.
If you use your blog to sell some services, you can send to your subscribers a satisfaction survey. This way you can improve and, as a result, you will earn more money.
Sell your own services
Almost every community has some specific needs. To satisfy them, you basically have two options:
- Recommend your readers third party services (ideally using an affiliate link to earn commissions for sales).
- Offer the services yourself.
The second option means more work, but it also gives you the ability to create a higher quality service and earn more money as well. If you decide to take this path, the newsletter will help you explain to the subscribers the reasons why they should hire you.
One of the most effective ways to get new customers is to offer discount coupons to the readers.
Get more webinar or course signups
Have you ever thought about setting up your own webinar? Or would you like to give a face-to-face course?
In both cases, email marketing can be the way to sell your tickets quickly and easily.
Increase traffic and earn by showing ads
If your biggest source of income comes from the ads shown on your blog, this strategy will be made for you.
Identify the contents of your blog that arouse most curiosity. Use copywriting techniques to get the attention of your subscribers and invite them to visit the corresponding posts.
The goal of this tactic is to drive traffic to your articles where you monetize it by displaying banners or text ads from ad networks.
Promote your posts containing videos
Just as you can use a newsletter to bring traffic to your blog and monetize it with ad networks, it is possible to embed videos in your articles and earn money thanks to the ads that appear in them.
Just use your newsletter to increase the number of video views.
If you have not yet become familiar with the options of making money with videos, I recommend you read these articles:
- How to legally make money with third party videos
- How to earn money by creating videos and showing them on your blog
Promote free trial offers
Internet users like to try new things, especially if they are free. You will do them a great favor if you recommend them some good services with free trial period.
Do not forget that many affiliate networks offer CPL programs that will pay you for the free registrations of your subscribers.
Segment and personalize
Target your subscribers according to their interests. Assign them to the groups and use the strategies described above to send each group of users what interests them most.
How to segment the users? That depends a lot on the email marketing service you use. Study the statistics it offers and use them to find groups of subscribers with similar interests.
For example, if you regularly send to your list new article notifications, the users who have most clicked on the links to posts about a certain topic, will be interested in this topic.
Do you need an email marketing service?
If you send hundreds or thousands of emails to your subscribers the same way you send “normal” emails, it will only be a matter of time before your emails end up in the spam folder.
What options do you have when choosing an email marketing service? These are, in my opinion, providers with a good relationship between quality and price:
- Mailrelay: It is the provider that I use to send the contents to my students of the MoneyToplist Academy. What do they offer? Up to 15,000 subscribers for free (there are no tricks or small print) and autoresponders included in the free account. For those with more than 15,000 subscribers they have plans with very competitive prices.
- GetResponse: An alternative with reasonable prices.
- Aweber: Another of the largest providers.
and learn well explained strategies that will help you
make a living with your own blog or website.